Jan 25, 2009

A Week in Newcastle

I won't go into great detail about this week but I'd like to let you all know what I've been up to as well. Last post I mentioned we'd be working on shipping containers to try and turn them into office space in a recently acquired warehouse. Let me tell you, it is not all as easy as it sounds. The first few days of this week were spent grinding out huge holes in the sides of containers for windows and doors. I don't have an exact number but we probably went through 15 grinding blades on the nine inch grinder alone, in one week. We also drilled wooden studs into the containers so that we had something to secure the walls and ceilings too. One of the most fun parts, as well as impressive parts, was moving the containers into place. One thing about Australia is that they don't know what a big truck is, so the biggest vehicle we had at our disposal was a Toyota Land Cruiser with a V8. I will be honest, I had my doubts that an SUV could pull a 2 ton shipping container on a concrete floor, but Toyota proved me wrong. The only time we needed two Land Cruisers is when we had to squeeze one container into a tight and awkward spot. Anyhow, that was the bulk of the excitement for the week.

One of the other things that we got done this week was a massive work bench that will come in handy over the next year as they continue to build/renovate their 'new' warehouse. The Lord continues to provide for YWAM Newcastle because I also heard a rumor that they found a supplier for the remaining shipping containers that they need. Previously they couldn't get a price cheaper than $1800 per container, but God provides and they will hopefully get 4 or 5 for $800 a piece. Besides 40 degree weather in a sweltering warehouse the rest of the week was fantastic. I'm excited to be heading back to Adelaide and there's a possibility that Graham could be coming back to Newcastle sometime in the next few months to continue helping out in the warehouse. It's a short post, but like I said, there wasn't much else to talk about besides work this week. That's it for me.

No comments: